Tuesday, April 8, 2008



You could call this the best sitcom ever. Yup, THE BEST!!! It has fun, confusion, drama, action, fun, fun, fun and a whole lot of fun. And you do get to learn some English too, the basics that everyone seems to have forgotten. If anybody had a chance to read an article on Outlook, dated 24 March, 2008, “Torment of English”, then you’d probably get my point. Getting back to Mind Your Language, it is about a night school teacher, Jeremy Brown (played by Barry Evans), who takes up the job of teaching English to a bunch of foreigners.

Every episode is great in a way, but I’d say the first episode, “The First Lesson”, has to be one of the best.
(Ali enters Miss Courtney’s office)
Ali: I am coming here for to be learning the English and I am hopping to be unrolled.
Miss Courtney: Hopping to be unrolled???
Ali: Like it say in your syllabus!
Miss Courtney: You mean “hoping to be enrolled”.

Ali: Jolly good. (One of Ali’s frequently used phrases)

Mr. Brown bumps into Ali outside Miss Courtney’s office.
Ali: Oh Dreary me, I am not going where I’m looking.
Mr. Brown: No, I wasn’t looking where I was going.

Ali: That makes the two of us.


Mr. Brown (on entering the classroom): I am pleased to meet you all. Ali: We are also pleased to be meeting you.
Mr. Brown: I am Brown.

Ali: Oh no, you are committing a mistake.
Mr. Brown: Mistake?
Ali: Yes, please. You are not brown; we are brown (referring to himself and Jamila). You are white.
Mr. Brown: My name is Brown. I am your teacher.

Giovanni: Ah, you professori!!! Silencio!!!


Mr. Brown asks each one of his students their names and occupation.
Mr. Brown: A waiter?
Giovanni: No not a waiter, a cook’the.

Mr. Brown: Cook’the???

Giovanni: See, I cook the ravioli, I cook the spaghetti, I cook the lasagna! I cook the everything.
Mr. Brown: A Chef!
Giovanni: Hokay!!!

Ali: I am Ali Nadim, from Lahore. I am working at the moment, not anywhere at all.
Mr. Brown: You are unemployed?

Ali: Yes, please. Only one day a week I am working.

Mr. Brown: What do you do then?

Ali: I am going to the unemployement exchange for to be collecting my money. Oh blimey! I get more money for not being working than when I am working.

Mr. Brown: So before you discovered this secret of eternal wealth, what did you do?

Ali: Blimey! I worked.


Ranjith (entering the classroom): A thousand apologies for my lateness. The only bus was going backwards.

Max and Giovanni arguing over who would sit next to Danielle.
Giovanni: Before you were sit over there.

Max: And before you were sit over there.

Giovanni: You go back sit where you were before.

Fight

The best part of this episode is the way Giovanni tries to convince Mr. Brown that he has to sit next to Danielle. The colour blind joke and all that. Ha Ha!!! The frequent frays between Ranjith and Ali!

I have enjoyed every little thing about this show. The title track is amazing as well. This series is a must watch for everyone who loves English and wants to have a good laugh.

3 Comments:

  1. sivapc said...
    Great series.. My fav is Max, super cool. Next are Giovanni, Juan and Taro. Ali and Giovanni are the funniest.

    Giovanni: You see Mr.Green
    Brown: The Name is Brown
    Giovanni: You see i'm color blind that's why

    Ali: I'm working at the moment, not anywhere at all

    Brown: (pointing to a lime juice) Giovanni what's this?
    Giovanni: Ay Leimon Juice
    Brown: (pointing at milk) Juan, what's this
    Juan: A Cow Juice!!
    Brown: No Juan, Milk. Do you know where you can get the milk?
    Juan: From the milkman



    LMAO..
    Unknown said...
    Ha Ha!!
    Seriously hilarious :)
    Love all of them in the show and all the episodes too.. and that Color Blind joke by Giovanni is amazing... and what makes it even funnier is the way they speak in their native accents :D
    Anonymous said...
    I LOOOVE Mind Your Language!!
    NEVER MISSED IT!

Post a Comment